Jesus said, ‘Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.’ Luke 11:9-10 (NRSV)
So we come with confidence to ask God to hear our prayers for the world, for each other, and for ourselves. We trust in our faithful God who wants the best for us and watches over us with love. We trust in our generous God who gives us everything we need to live in ways that honour Jesus. We trust in our gracious Lord who rescues us when we go astray. We trust in the power of the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth.
This month I invite you to pray for:
- The Bossey Ecumenical Institute Seminar, ‘Equipping each other for Christian witness in a multi-cultural and multi-faith world’, taking place 5-15 August. Rhema from Methodist Church in India is attending. Please continue to pray for her and for Emmangie from Liberia who so far has been refused a visa to enter Switzerland, and is waiting for a response to an appeal.
- On Sunday 11 August we join others to pray for a peaceful reunification on the Korean Peninsular.
- Between 19-23 August, World Officers are meeting in Gothenburg with women members of the Uniting Church in Sweden as Local Arrangements Committee to continue planning for our next World Assembly 10-15 August 2021. Please pray for creative discussions and wise decisions.
- The World Methodist Council Steering committee is meeting in Mexico City 28-30 August as they plan for their 2021 conference taking place shortly after our assembly in the same venue.
- Pray for the North America Area women as they plan for their Area Seminar 4-6 October at the Hilton Chicago Northbrook, Chicago and the preceding Weaving Together Programme for Area and invited Unit leaders from UMW, AME, AMEZ, CME and MCCA Units.
- Give thanks that the 29th Quadrennial Convention of AME Zion’s Women’s Home and Overseas Missionary Society held in Orlando, Florida was such a success.
- Give thanks that United Methodist Women (UMW) has awarded two $50,000 grants for work to thwart suicide among LGBTQ youth. Pray for all those who work amongst children and young people, encouraging them to talk about their joys and worries in safety and confidence and put their trust in God.
- Give thanks for Ms. Tatiana Valovaya, Director-General-designate, of the United Nations Office at Geneva who will assume her functions as of 5 August 2019.
- Give thanks for all women who offer to serve God through their World Federation Unit or Area. May they be blessed as they are a blessing to others.
- Give thanks for the ways in which God meets your needs when you ask, reveals to you what you most seek, and opens doors for you to share your story of faith.