‘I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.’ John 10:10 NIV
We thank God for teachers and the many initiatives that support children in their education:
for Methodist schools and Universities in many countries and for partnerships between them;
for the Bossey Ecumenical Institute in Switzerland and those who offer scholarships to students;
for opportunities for adult education in preaching, leadership and practical skills;
for educational supplies donated for disadvantaged children in schools.
Matthew 7:24-29 and Matthew 19:13-15
Jesus, who taught through story and example,
and welcomed the children, the women, the poor and outcast,
bless all those who teach.
We pray that there will be equal opportunity of education for every person.
Give parents and teachers patience, creativity and wisdom
so that every child and every adult student may enjoy fullness of life
and realise their potential
to the benefit of all. Amen
Find out more about one of these initiatives and consider how you might support their work.
- ‘Days for Girls International’ supplies sanitary products to girls so they do not have to miss school during their monthly menstruation period. http://www.daysforgirls.org
- The ‘Dignity for Children Foundation’ provides education for underprivileged children, mostly refugees in Malaysia, and helping to change the cycle of poverty through education.
- The Mega Chinese Methodist Church has been reaching out to the Orang Asli, the Malaysian aboriginals, in the villages and maintaining a home in Kuala Lumpur city for the older children so that they can have a better education.
- The ‘Dare to Care’ orphanage offers quality education to disadvantaged children in Sibiu, Romania.
- ‘Shade and Fresh Water’ was started to help local churches in Brazil develop socio-educational activities as an alternative for at-risk children and youth living in vulnerable situations.
To find out more about Goal 4 and other Sustainable Development Goals visit:
The World Federation of Methodist and Uniting Church Women supports the Sustainable Development Goals.